Note that this is not going to be an exhaustive list, nor a limited catalogue of careers and descriptions. It is a "sampler" and is meant to give girls an idea of the breadth of their choices, encourage them to explore ideas that they may not have thought possible before, and offer ideas about how they could achieve their goals. You don't have to be special to find a career that you like -- just know that you can do it.
The categories below are general ideas. Many of them link to role models, real women currently working in those areas. The category names will take you there!
Women Professionals! Want to add your career to the list? Please fill out our short (easy!) questionaire.
Here are some career fields, represented in no particular order:
We have intentionally left out a few careers for the following reasons:
- Elementary, Secondary and High School Teachers
- They are common role models in the lives of 9-16 year olds.
- Same as primary school teachers.
- The Military
- Most careers are available in the private sector!
- Our principled stand supporting non-violence makes it impossible for The Role Model Project to do an objective and credible job of advocating military careers for girls. We would not hesitate to link to another site, if one exists, that does address the issues raised in military careers and the special needs of women. If you know of such a site, or of a woman or women in the military that would be interested in creating one, please let us know.
This page located at:
Copyright 1996 WomensWork. All rights reserved everywhere.